Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Operation Smile- India

The day of my birthday I flew halfway across the world to join with the Operation Smile Team as a volunteer for the biggest mission they have ever attempted. The destination: Guwahati, India. The goal: fix the cleft lips and palates and give new smiles to almost 1,000 kids in the state of Assam. I worked the night shift and got paired up with some great girls! Jamee, from UT, Marisa from CA, and Julie from CO. We had a blast together!
Since we worked the night shift, we had some time during the day to do some shopping in the crowded and dirty city of Guwahati. Always on the look-out for a bargain!
Post-surgery- this kid doesn't feel too great. The only pain medicine they receive is Tylenol! Moms and Dads are there 24/7 to take care of them, making our job a little easier.
Unfortunately after one night of working I came down with a horrible stomach bug. I was fortunate to be with a great medical team who helped me feel a little better after a while. I was down for 3 days, and my awesome friend/ room-mate Allie was my personal nurse.
Back to work- spraying on some DEET to keep those pesky mosquitoes (and malaria) away.
Our night shift team. The two Indians are brother and sister Azun and Razia, our awesome interpreters that were there night after night, then went to their normal jobs in the day.
My favorite little buddy. He was buzzing around the ward in the morning singing a little Indian tune and playing with some of the toys we brought.
We had some long nights together!
Beautiful mama and baby.
Playing ball with the kiddos.
I was so happy to have my good friend Allie there with me. Although she worked the day shift and I was on nights, we managed to hang out whenever possible. When I was feeling ill and homesick, she made it that much better for me.

Morning Chai. An Indian tradition.
Even though being in such a foreign and far-away place was sometimes very difficult, especially when I didn't feel well most of the time, these kids and families made it all worthwhile. These children are born into very poor circumstances to begin with, and a facial deformity can make their lives that much more difficult. I feel blessed to have been a part of this organization that brings new smiles to kids all over the world and makes a big difference a little bit at a time.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

What an amazing experience to have going into your 30th year! So glad there are people in the world willing to get their time to places in need.

Missy B. said...

Amazing trip, Britt! 1,000 kiddos who will no longer be afraid to smile. that's some major accomplishment.

Jer + Lu said...

What an incredible experience!!
Happy birthday too!